Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Past, Present, and Future: Rader Hall

As we continue our look back in the history of Morehead State University facilities, we now examine a building that sits on the original crescent of University Boulevard.  Rader Hall, built in 1925 is a three-story classroom and office building that houses the office of the Dean of the Caudill College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Department of History, Philosophy and Religion; Department of Sociology, Social Work and Criminology; and the Exelbirt Seminar Room. 

This historic building, named after former faculty member and administrator Dr. Clifford Rader, was renovated and expanded in 1970.  The renovation included the removal of the original exterior and imposed a complete facelift of the facility to bring it into that decade.

Originally, Rader Hall was simply known as the administrative building, housing administrative offices up until the completion of the Howell-McDowell Building constructed just across the street in 1963.  After administrative purposes were relocated, the old administrative building was directed for re-design to house the Social Sciences.  At the time, Dr. Clifford Rader was the Divisional Chairman and passed away shortly after.  In his honor, the former administrative building was to be named “Rader Hall.”

According to Dr. C. Nelson Grote, “Dr. Rader was not only a professional person, he was also a fine craftsman.  He made steel knives, which he gave to his dinner guests, and he also was a musician and played the banjo.” 

Years after his death, his wife donated two of his instruments to MSU including a crafted banjo with ivory inlays and carvings.  Not only is Dr. Rader honored through name of the building, but he is forever enshrined on the memorial plaza in the center of campus for his 17 years of faithful service to Morehead State University.

It is unreal the history that lies in the brick that houses our education.  With a little bit of atmospheric understanding, appreciation and pride can exponentially rise for students here at MSU. 

The old Administrative Building (1926)

Rader Hall, today

No comments:

Post a Comment